And by that I mean the whole stupid, foolhardy concept. I’ve said before that if you really believe there’s a horde of attractive women faking interest in nerdy things just to get your attention, you have a massive case of unwarranted self-importance, and I still believe that. I also believe you’re incredible insecure, and threatened by some ‘enemy’ who is no such thing.
The world of comic books, sci-fi, videogames, all these things, is no longer a boy’s club with a “NO GIRLS ALLOWED” banner hanging on the door, and it never should have been (indeed, I suspect it never really WAS but for this very idea - girls aren’t REAL nerds, especially attractive ones! And then the internet came up and holy shit look, women came out in droves to discuss their interest in these things, going back to the 1980s and earlier like the rest of us). If you insist somehow that it should be, that you should act as some kind of gatekeeper - he is a real nerd, she is not - then quite frankly you are just one of the saddest specimens we have to offer. Many of us grew up being picked on for having a non-mainstream interest, and now that this interest is spreading you attack and snarl and demean and exclude instead of actually being happy that you have new people to share these wonderful interests with.
You complain about games being rehashes, comic book reboots that are just retreads, but actively keep out the new blood and perspectives that could actually offer something you haven’t seen or considered before.
You demean women who cosplay as attention seekers in skimpy outfits, ignoring that they didn’t create those outfits, WE did.
Who cares if someone’s exposure and love for The Avengers came from the movie, and not the comics first?
Who cares if someone plays Angry Birds more than Dark Souls? What, you never fucking played Tetris? Don’t give me that non-game crap.
Oh no, she watches Thor because he’s tall blonde and built like a brick shithouse and isn’t afraid to comment that the guy’s a stud and so’s his brother? Yeah, because you read Tarot: Witch of the Rose for the riveting storytelling and characterization, right?
Oh no, someone’s writing fanfic about Tony Stark and Steve Rogers buttfucking! What a demeaning thing to do to the characters, you say as browsing the pictures I’ve been hired to draw of the women of X-Men having a lesbian orgy.
At the core of it all, for some insane reason, you are so threatened by the presence of women in your interests that you insult, you cajole, you harrass, and you embarrass the rest of us who are just happy to share. You slam women who are attractive and cosplay as NOT REAL NERDS, THEY’RE PREYING ON US POOR WIDDLE MENZ! And when they’re not as attractive as you’d like, you slam them for not meeting your standards. Or you slam them for daring not to give you the time of day when you grope and harass and hit on them. And if you look like me while doing it, that’s even more hilariously hypocritical and out of touch with reality. She’s not there for YOU, bro.
She’s not there for you.
She’s not there for you.
Let that sink in, guys.
She’s not there for you.
She’s not dressing up for you.
She’s not interested in comics for you.
She’s not playing games for you.
She’s. Not. There. For. You.
You are not the center of the universe, you never were and you never SHOULD be. It’s time to share your toys, guys. It’s time to be more mature. It’s time to drop the entitled attitude that insists our standards and our standards alone should be met. You do not hold the keys to the kingdom, for the kingdom has no lock.
My friend Kat - a geek with a cool job making awesome videogames like NFS The Run and mad cosplay skills - said something on Twitter earlier that summed the whole Fake Geek Girl BS up perfectly;
“That’s just it- “fake geek girls” DO NOT EXIST. There are only WOMEN WITH VARYING LEVELS OF INTEREST IN DIFFERENT HOBBIES.”
Many of the women cosplaying at these conventions probably know more about the current state of comics than I do, but I’ll never be asked to prove my nerd cred if I roll up in a Superman tee - and I haven’t bought an issue since the New 52 launched.
Fucking afford them the same courtesy. Don’t be a douchebag.
- jambimama reblogged this from randomredux
- neverbecomplete likes this
- shannon-of-the-shire reblogged this from randomredux
- sparksintheair reblogged this from randomredux
- stealsurlfromabox reblogged this from randomredux
- ohshitmyhouseisonfire likes this
- ohshitmyhouseisonfire reblogged this from randomredux
- casonachristmastree likes this
- casedl6 reblogged this from randomredux
- casedl6 likes this
- femzuko likes this
- chris-in-eugene likes this
- awkwardpenguin reblogged this from randomredux
- secretlifeofanaustralianblogger reblogged this from randomredux
- glitchowl likes this
- noodlemypoodle likes this
- stairway-to-pigfarts reblogged this from marmeme and added:
- davidnoirandhistitanjazzband reblogged this from randomredux
- mermie-mermaid likes this
- mermie-mermaid reblogged this from marmeme
- davidnoirandhistitanjazzband likes this
- idonthaveenoughtime reblogged this from marmeme
- nekosol reblogged this from marmeme
- nekosol likes this
- buffbootybaby reblogged this from marmeme
- reminiscentgenerations likes this
- marmeme reblogged this from randomredux
- marmeme likes this
- bihalla reblogged this from randomredux
- dollwings reblogged this from randomredux
- ihave-too-many-fandoms likes this
- jitter-doll likes this
- idiosyncrasies-lover reblogged this from randomredux
- idiosyncrasies-lover likes this
- j-catt reblogged this from x3thelastunicornx3
- x3thelastunicornx3 reblogged this from randomredux
- x3thelastunicornx3 likes this
- seikita likes this
- hanaeru reblogged this from kamikaze-kaitou-jeanne
- kamikaze-kaitou-jeanne reblogged this from amelia-and-vincent
- an-actual-iguana reblogged this from amelia-and-vincent
- amelia-and-vincent reblogged this from randomredux
- easterneuropean likes this
- manhood-of-a-faun reblogged this from randomredux
- stuprince likes this
- pocahottie reblogged this from jordibaby
- jordibaby reblogged this from randomredux
- driftwoodorphanage reblogged this from randomredux
- jin-kook likes this